Wednesday 17 September 2014

NYFW S/S15

I have decided to break down New York Fashion Week (Spring/Summer 2015) into short summaries of my favourite collections. Although I am quite late in posting this, I thought NYFW has been amazing, possibly better than ever.

Firstly I will start with Jason Wu. He is the guy known for dressing Michelle Obama at the very young age of 26 (correct me if that's wrong) and since then he has had extreme amounts of attention. This is no surprise because his designs are impeccably beautiful in a very subtle way. 

The tones in which he has used for S/S15 start off in earthy shades, however, as the collection progresses, Wu encounters denser colours of navy and he has draped sassy, sparkling fabric into luxurious evening gowns. The two floor length gowns shown at the end are my particular favourites. The designer has also experimented with textured, translucent fabric using the monochrome colours of black and white. The fabric is quite an interesting feature and I am counting it to be one of the key trends next Summer. 

The garments that I would most likely have in my wardrobe (if I could afford them) came from Prabal Gurung, the designer from Nepal. His colour palette included white (at the start) and greyish-blues (at the end). The garments shown in the second half of the show were exquisite. Immense amount of detail was embedded through prints and textures. The designer played around with frills making them appear like never before - I hate the thought of frills however I would definitely wear these dresses! I have posted photos from this show on my Instagram feed (@beccanaughton1). 

Alexander Wang is set to release his clothing line for H&M this Autumn (which will no doubt sell out within hours). His S/S15 collection has surely shown no disappointment. I would 100% wear most of the garments sent down the catwalk and usually I am not that into the sporty aesthetic that Wang is famous for most. He encorporated sharp tailoring in the form of blazers and amazing trousers into his clothes, as well as including the well known sportswear inspiration. He has captured both workwear and sportswear in one outfit. 

Many eager Victoria Beckham fans tuned in to the live streaming of her S/S15 show on the Sunday of NYFW. I waited patiently for her show to begin to find out that I'd actually missed it (Well done me!).

However, I did immediately scoured through the internet, finding photographs from the show! She's not only soon to open her first store at London's Dover Street in Mayfair, but within this collection she has displayed her first shoe line which includes pointy cowboy shoes (some featuring pink appliqué flowers) and platforms. Clothes-wise, Beckham chose her iconic midi dresses and military inspired coats mostly in subtle colours apart from the bright, pink, flowery jacket. 

Victoria revealed that her collection was designed to establish her brand, making references to past collections and her staple pieces.

Diane Von Furstenberg displayed clothes that can only be named as 'The Perfect Summer Wardrobe'. For anybody, may I add. It included enlarged gingham prints and flirty, fun frocks. She started with monochrome colours, in which garments with a beautiful print of a tree appeared. She swiftly moved onto girly pinks and oranges, which resulted in Naomi Campbell closing the show in a lovely, 'cute' dress featuring double-layered frills at the hem. AFterwards, DVF appeared all smiley and happy to greet her friends wearing a green, printed shirt dress from the collection (every single shirt dress was pure luxury and I envy anybody who gets to wear one). I am not very girly, however I would happily wear every one of these garments! 

Marc By Marc Jacobs (Luella Bartley and Katie Hillier's second fashion week) displayed a collection of latex leggings and cropped, bright, binded jackets with bold prints. It's said to be inspired by house music and they additionally opened the show with the song 'My House'. Luella and Katie are certainly establishing their vision for the brand from an early point in their reign, and seem to have nailed a street-style based theme already. 

Thank you for reading all that, a London Fashion Week post will be on it's way soon! 

I haven't posted photographs due to copyright circumstances. 



No comments:

Post a Comment